Elder Huffaker

Elder Huffaker

Thursday, April 22, 2010

And the squatters? As good as gone.

Hello everyone. I hope you have all been looking forward to today and my email, because if you haven't, please turn off your computer right now and go back to your bed. You must be having a bad dream. WAKE UP!

Today's email is a little short. Yes, I have the time, no we didn't have anymore baptisms, and yes we did what we were supposed to.

First up, I have learned of a very interesting way of life. It's the principle of squatting. I'm not talking about what you do when you're out in the woods, I'm talking about what homeless people in Jamaica (and apparently the U.K.) can do. I was taught this by Bro. Vanriel (pictured).

Bro. Vanriel was baptized and confirmed. He currently is living out of another person's house. Well, he's looking to squat somewhere. I'm sure some of you may remember the first Shrek movie. In the movie, Shrek asks Lord Farquad to remove the squatters from his swamp. Squatting is legal. It is when a homeless person can "move in" to another house that is not being occupied. Meaning, the person has moved away or is on a very long vacation. Basically, the person can move in, and live in the house as if it were theirs. The person pays the bills and takes care of the place and everything. However, if the owner should return, the person is required to leave. A squatter must be careful, however, in that they don't get charged with breaking and entering. Thus, you can't go barging down the door. Bro. Vanriel is looking to hire a locksmith and to squat at this house until he can get going on his feet.

Later on this week, I tried what is called Tamorine (I think that's how it's spelled) It's kind of a tangy, sticky, thing that grows on trees. You shell it to get the tangy, sticky, thing and then coat it in sugar and eat it. It tastes really good.

Lastly, I made a pineapple upside down cake on Friday. Elder Hicken was very intrigued. He ate more than half the cake by dinner time. I don't think it turned out the greatest because it was spread kinda thin, but it tasted good none-the-less.



I trust everyone is doing well, please email me if you have misunderstood anything that I've stated in the past or want to know about something that goes on down here.

Elder Huffaker

No comments:

Post a Comment