Elder Huffaker

Elder Huffaker

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Hurricanes Come Blowing Through, Hurrah, Hurrah

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, there are no pictures nor have there been for a while. I know some of you look forward to pictures more than words, so I'm gonna try to make it up to you next week.

This week was pretty exciting. First off, Elder Gantt is our district leader. Every district meeting - for those of you who have forgotten, district meetings are on Wednesdays - we sing a hymn to start and usually I conduct the music. So when I finished I sat down right in Elder Gantt's teaching chair. When it was time for him to start teaching, I refused to relinquish the chair. So he said, "fine, you teach district meeting." I DID! I took his notes and taught district meeting. Apparently it went really well. -- This is Elder Gantt and yes it did go very well!!! --

After district meeting, I went on a trade off to Negril. I spent the time with Elder McClean. He's a Jamaican and probably the coolest Jamaican I've ever met. We had a blast together. I don't have any pictures because I forgot my camera. While I was there, I used an Irish accent and had a lot of people ask if I was from Ireland. I played some people really well. In the end, I always revealed that I wasn't from Ireland, but Elder McClean really liked it. We also saw a break-in. Nothing to worry though, apparently the place wasn't in use and hasn't been for a very long time. The next day, I did get to have lunch with the senior couple from Lucea and their grandson (who was a missionary here in Jamaica). I came back to Sav to find Elder Gantt in one piece.

Saturday, we had a really cool experience where we gave a member's mother a blessing. We've been working with the member's niece who lives with the member's mother. We've been trying to get her to come to church. Well, apparently this blessing made a huge difference. The next day (yesterday) the mother was feeling 100% better and let the niece come to church. Sometimes simple things lead to great blessings.

Elder Huffaker
P.S. from Marilyn:
Despite the title of this post, when asked about Hurricane Alex, Brandon noted that they've gotten a little weather from Alex, but nothing really bad. The missionaries are instructed to keep a few days' supply of food on hand, in case of emergencies, especially during hurricane season. Thank you for keeping him in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment