Elder Huffaker

Elder Huffaker

Friday, August 6, 2010

WHAT IS THAT?!?

No matter where you go in Jamaica, once you spend time in one area, you think you've seen it all. Then you get transferred....

First off, I have tried a new food, please don't hurl in your mouth..... pig tail. At least they didn't leave the skin on it. Secondly is turkey neck. I've had chicken neck before while in Jamaica, but not turkey neck. Turkey neck is a lot easier then chicken neck, but still good meat as long as it's cooked right.

Nextly, Here in Linstead we usually get a fog every night. This brings out moisture loving animals. I don't know where they come from or hide during the day. It's not like we're near the ocean. But we see snails around here. So one night when we were coming home. On the road to our house was this giant snail. At first I thought it was a rock. Then I did a double take and I'm like "Rocks aren't usually sitting out in the road. What is that?" As I watched I noticed it was a snail. I had to call Elder Peterson over. He passed it and didn't even realize it. I made a fist and held it next to it and it was bigger than my fist. Talk about craziness.

Lastly for this week. Sunday was Emancipation Day for Jamaica. So, it was observed yesterday. This why I wasn't able to email yesterday. So, because businesses weren't open. Elder Peterson and I just played ping pong at the church, until..... A member asked us what we were doing today. Elder Peterson's reply: NOTHING. Her next comment was, "Oh good. Can you come to our yard and help us put up a pole?" Elder Peterson said, "Does it have to be today?" So we ended up going. Little did we know what we were getting into. Elder Peterson thought it was a fence pole..... REALITY CHECK. You have to know that the day before, on Sunday, they fed us dinner. So, this is like our work for our food. We end up hauling this 20-25 foot log up from the bottom of a hill to their yard. It took 5 of us, Elder Peterson and I, two members of the family and one neighbor. Me, being the biggest, gets the end of the log. It's no more than a foot and a half in diameter. I couldn't get the log into the crook between my shoulder and neck. So now, my shoulders are all bruised. Then, we have to "shave this log". We take machetes and knives to shave off the bark. Then we have to get the log into the hole. Mind you, the fifth guy (neighbor) has left by now. So we are trying to walk the log into the hole and we are already really tired from hauling it and shaving it. I'm sure this family is grateful for our help in putting up a power pole to their yard. Somehow we managed and made it back home in time to shower, do laundry and still be completely exhausted.

Due to a virus on my camera, I don't have any pictures to go with my stories. I'm waiting for a member to come back from Panama to fix it.

HAVE A GOOD WEEK :D

Elder Huffaker

P.S. from Marilyn

So I did a little checking, and it sounds like the snail Brandon saw was an "apple snail" (so named because of the size.) It would look something like this:

No comments:

Post a Comment