Elder Huffaker

Elder Huffaker

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Week of Sorrow

I'm sure many of you have heard the news. Elder Walker was hit by a stray bullet last week on Monday on the way back to Kingston from Spanish Town. He returned home almost instantly. There were seven other missionaries in the van.

This is how the missionaries in the van were situated:

~Front!~
__________
(B) (E) Elders Brough and Emery
(T) (L) Elders Toutai and Luke
(W) Elder Walker
(K) (N) Elders Knowlton and Nelson
____ _(O)_ Elder Ostberg


The bullet came in through the back window and hit Elder Walker in the left temple. It was a tragedy to all of us missionaries.

For more information on the matter, please consult my mom.




Next in news. President Hendricks came to district meeting last Wednesday. I think it had something to do with the fact that all of our zone, except Elder Snelson and I, were involved in the incident regarding Elder Walker. He also interviewed Elder Snelson and I after the meeting and we had a good chat and I also got a few doctrine related answers while I was at it.

Next, we have the amazing super planning on Friday. Elder Snelson received some summer sausage in his Christmas package. Soooo, I broke out a tin of cheese I had been saving and we purchased some Ritz Crackers knockoffs and enjoyed our weekly planning session.

Sunday we travelled down with the Daniels to Kingston to stay the night at the zoneleaders house. But before they took us to the zone leaders house, we stopped and ate dinner at the Schaefermeyer's house. While there Elder Schaefermeyer showed me a video that I ask you to watch on youtube. It's called Two White Girls Pon a Minibus. This kinda relates the experience of travelling via public transportation in Jamaica. The head out the window thing is the only difference. People can't really do that anymore.

Yesterday, the zone leaders took us to Spanish Town for Elder Walker's memorial. Elder Coleman and his wife were there as were President Hendricks and his wife. All four of them spoke. Elder Coleman represented the First Presidency, the Quorum of the Twelve, and the Carribbean Area Seventy. It was a good service. I also got a picture of me and my protege's.


Elder Huffaker


Note from Marilyn:
Brandon's comment of Elder Walker "returned home" -- refers to his death, and returning home to our Heavenly Father. I liked the comment I read on one of the senior missionaries' blogs: “Elder Walker's life was cut short, but his mission was extended”. And President Hendricks' affirmation that, “God is in charge.” You can email me if you have further questions about this, at PaintedFlower@aol.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment